Email Address
Password
Login with Facebook
Name
Valid Email Address
Password
Confirm Password
Register using Facebook
Connecting with Facebook offers you an enhanced experience by bringing your social network to internSHARE
I want to receive periodic emails regarding internSHARE
By submitting this form I agree with the Terms and Conditions [link]
30
Jun
2011

My Undergraduate Bucket List

InternQueen

This blog post is written by Kristi, our Intern Queen Campus Ambassador from University of Idaho. If you also attend University of Idaho and are interested in blogging for us, leave a comment here!

My Top 10 Things to do Before I Graduate (Career-Oriented Edition)

In no order…

1 ) Learn a foreign language: We live in a globalized world and more and more people are speaking multiple languages. English is only the fourth most spoken language in the world behind Mandarin Chinese, Hindi, and Spanish.

2 ) Study Abroad: As the world becomes globalized, having an international perspective will give you an advantage your career. Travel will broaden and mature the traveler, and it shows some initiative and resourcefulness on your part. Employers love it.

3 ) Intern in another city: It’s amazing what you can learn outside the classroom, and your college town.

4 ) Learn to cook: At the very least, learn to cook one good meal. This has nothing to do with my career, but it might make me more confident.

5 ) Network: Take a few minutes and thank the professor that made the biggest impact on your life during college. That thank you might turn into an amazing letter of recommendation.

6 ) Hold a leadership position: Leadership is more important than your GPA, major, minor, or school name. College is a great time to develop your leadership skills because there are so many leadership opportunities in student government, student groups, fraternities, sororities, intramural sports, etc.

7 ) Start a blog….and twitter….and LinkedIn: The three of them are almost mandatory in today’s world or social media. It’s an easy way to stay connected with all your contacts in your field, whether they be fellow alumni, past employers, or networking contacts you’ve made along the way. You can also post your resume and gain recommendations.

8 ) Start a savings plan: self-explanatory?

9 ) Master at least one program: Take the time to learn beyond just the basic functions. Adobe and Microsoft programs are key. Dreamweaver will help you build a website. Photoshop and Indesign will help with design. Microsoft will complement the office work.

10 ) Perfect your resume: Chances are your resume has changed over the last four years. Make sure every word mentioned is how you want to be perceived to your (possibly) future employer.

11 ) Watch a lot of Ted Talks: Ted.com features videos of speaking appearances given by industry-changing and remarkable people. And best of all, they are free.

12 ) Get published: There are many ways to publish your work in college. You can write for the campus newspaper, publish an article with a professor that you’ve done research with, or you can publish a book. Being published by a source other than your own blog adds credibility to your ideas, thoughts, and writing.

This entry was posted on Thursday, June 30th, 2011 at 12:20 pm and is filed under Intern Queen for internSHARE. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.